Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups fresh grated carrots
- 1 cup unsifted all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup ground or grated coconut
- *optional* add in ¼ cup chopped walnuts or raisins with coconut
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered/confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions for Cake:
- In a large bowl sift flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon
- In a stand mixer, add sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Mix well and incorporate the grated carrots.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the carrot mixture and slowly mix until combined. Stir in the Coconut.
- Pour the batter in cake pan.
- Bake at 200 degree C (400 degrees F) for 20-30 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick.
Instructions for Frosting:
- In a bowl , beat the cream cheese and butter on low speed until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and cream on low speed until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Spread your cream cheese frosting on the carrot cake after it has been cooled.